Sunday, April 18, 2010

Dwelling on Dwellings

I've been thinking about houses, homes, hometowns, places we live ...

Because Jeri and Boy left home to visit our current home. And now they're back in their home.

Because Joey just left his current home to live with Grams and Gramps for a few months in Alaska. And then he will return to Australia, get married and "build a home" with Kelsea.

Because Brad and Karissa are in the process of relocating from Sydney to Brisbane.

And because Jim and I will soon be leaving Balikpapan, Indonesia ... moving to Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia.

You can see why my thoughts have been on dwelling places ...
And I was thinking about where in the world we could all get a sense of stability in this totally unstable life????

Answer: not. Not in this world!
Definitely not!

Which lead me to these opposite but equally valid thoughts:

Psalm 90:1 "Lord, you have been our DWELLING place throughout all generations. Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God!" Psalm 91:1 "He who DWELLS in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty."
We dwell in God ... even more truly than we dwell on this earth.

Ephesians 2:22 "And in Him you too are being built together to become a DWELLING in which God lives by His Spirit."
God dwells in us, together.

Ephesians 3: 16,17 "I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may DWELL in your hearts through faith."
God dwells in us, individually.

And I am comforted.

For no matter how often our address changes. No matter how many time zones it takes us to get to the people we so deeply love. No matter ...

There is permanence and there is stability to be known.
I dwell in Him.

He dwells in me.

2 comments:

Zona Wilson said...

Oh my! Off you go again? Saudi Arabia, huh? Well, you may someday be a well-rounded world traveler! I don't want to say anything negative, but I really do wonder how you settle into a new home, set up a routine, establish relationships and activities - and then just disengage and move on to the next place. That would be very hard for me. You must have developed coping strategies or you wouldn't thrive as you seem to be doing. Can you articulate anything to help me understand?

Meanwhile, I am thrilled for Grams and Gramps to have such great company for a few months!

Zona Wilson said...

In this morning's light it occurs to me that you did partly answer my question - that the Lord is our permanent dwelling place. I don't intend to make light of that. It's just the "skin on" part I'm asking about.