Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Yesterday's Cup of Tea



Back in Jakarta, while in a hotel, I got re-acquainted with fair and balanced news. Yes, the Marriott had FOX News. In the first 15 minutes of viewing I realized that I'd been duped! We thought that we were discerning folks because we could listen to CNN International (more liberal than CNN USA, even!) and discover some truth by reading between the lines. Well, well, well! Little did we know that entire lines were missing ... it's pretty tough to read between lines that aren't even there!!!

Thus began my quest for finding a provider that carries FOX News in Balikpapan. Many hours, conversations, websearching, etc. later I accepted the reality that FOX is in the Jakarta area of Java but not on the island of Bornea. FOX's own website listed 4 companies that carry them in Indonesia but this area of the country is just way behind.

So, we chose the package from Indovision that we would take when the time came to get satellite TV, being content with less than the best because it at least provides some international contacts!

The Camp Boss, here, is great -- his name is Denny. He's very eager to help and appreciates me, it seems, because I appreciate him so much! (The timeliness and quality of service here is so much better than where we've been that I get a bit excited over the simplest of things!)

Soooooooooo, yesterday afternoon Denny and the Indovision satellite TV guy arrived to re-install our set-up. (What a deal, they get paid to disconnect the guy who just left and then to install us -- they must love the companies that move people around a lot!)

I showed them my printout from the internet of the options and the one we'd decided upon and they said that everything had changed. This usually translates into "the prices have increased" so I braced myself. But, in actuality, the packages had entirely changed -- combinations, names, etc. were all different. And there, in the middle of the list of the channels carried by the Galaxy package were three letters that popped out at me -- F O X!!!! There is so much room in the living area, that it was easy for me to run and kick up my heals. Which I did -- much to Joey's embarrassment! Denny and the technician weren't fully understanding why I could get excited about any kind of news channel but they at least were entertained! The new packages began on ... get this ... drum role, please ... 4 July!

Hence, the photo with the cup of Earl Grey tea and lemon cookies. (The other shot was taken later in the evening just for a perspective on the near-empty room!) While the guy was doing the installation, I got myself ready to celebrate -- setting up a little "couch" out of some pillows and blankets. Bottom line after installation was complete: the temporary card we have until Wed or Thur doesn't have FOX News. But, I enjoyed my tea, anyway, with the sheer anticipation that very soon I will be able to enjoy this amazing gift!!! I'm still shaking my head in wonder! God is good!

2 comments:

Zona Wilson said...

Your floors look like marble, which would be so cool underfoot, and the lush beauty of the countryside looks peaceful and comforting. The people look happy too! Just think how beautiful your home will be when all your things are installed. And FOX news on top of everything else! Riches!

Sharon said...

Truly -- on all counts!
You're right, the people of this region are incredibly happy, friendly, and peace-loving. They are basically quiet -- other than the volume of their music which is killer loud and EVERYWHERE, making shopping in the markets rather difficult! The same is true of Thais -- quiet voices and personalities but blasting music and movies! Curious.
And FOX news got set up earlier than I'd planned. They worked very hard to get it going before today's public holiday for the national elections.
Blessed!