Thursday, July 16, 2009

Beachwalking Blessings



Here's a great little find that Jim and I picked up along the beach -- it's some kind of coral or a branch that's covered in minerals or something -- any marine biologists out there?!

I'm cooling down after my beach walk so I thought it was a good time to talk about it. This is only my third time beachwalking. I want to make a habit of it but there are three factors that can hinder it: rain (which was just starting when I wrapped up walking, today), my back (another story), and the tides.

The tide charts are becoming my friends. The shore is very shallow in this area which means that the tide moves in on the beach very quickly. And at high tide there is no beach. Under our compound fence there is a deep and thick cement barrier that keeps the ocean where it belongs. When the tide is in, the waves beat on that barrier, hiding all of the beach.

The last time I walked, I got my tennies soaked 'cuz it was very near high tide and I had no where to go! But this time I was out almost 2 hours before high tide so "not a problem"!

I've discovered the secret to enjoying this beachwalk -- look at the sun glistening on the water, don't look toward shore. It's not as bad as it was in Nigeria but the waves definitely bring in trash! So it's much better to walk a couple of hours before high tide because the trash is mainly gathered at the point of the last high tide and you can walk with only limited trash around each stepping area.

There are never any expats out, only local fishermen. I think the expats wait until they're in Bali to experience any beach walks! A couple of the beach-side restaurants hire workers to hand rake the beach in front of the restaurant every time the tide is out. Now there's some serious job security!!!

I suppose I could work out in the gym (there is one with limited equipment) but who wants to walk on a treadmill when they could beach walk and breathe in the amazingly fresh air?

So, I'm feeling blessed and completely grateful for our little patch of ocean! And speaking of rains, the rain has already arrived, poured heaps of buckets, and left in the short time I've been writing this!

No comments: