Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Adjusting to more changes

Well, we're in Lagos. We're staying in a guest house that is actually quite decent. Of course, the electricity goes off regularly but they are quick to turn on their generator. The water leaks have been almost totally solved. We now have hot water and internet and sometimes some TV channels. But it's VERY clean and nicely decorated and the staff are trying very hard to please us-all. Oh yeah, we do wait about 2 hours for a meal to get delivered to our room -- but they're trying! Our company has moved into all of the rooms. And we've taken over other guest houses, too... could be awhile that they are needed.

I can't give much news on hostage situations here but when I have REALLY GOOD news to report, I'm sure it will be ok to put it in print. We do have folks we know who are still in captivity but we continue to pray for their safety, that they will not get malaria, and that the negotiations will progress steadily and with a full release very soon!

Our belongings are going to be boxed up soon, under the supervision of our dear maid, Lucy. She's a treasure. We will bring her over here when we have a place to live. The belongings won't be shipped until then, either.

My job has basically transferred to Lagos. I'm replacing the gal who was doing it here and I'm inheriting all of the "orphans" from the area we were in. So ... it's a new definition of crazy! Housing is almost impossible to find and the prices seem to be rising by the day and the quality, though better than where we were, is still ... well ... "it's still Nigeria" is what everyone says!

So, peace and tranquility (and the accompanying boredom) are all things of the past. At least for a while until things settle down.

But ... Lagos, a city of somewhere between 15 and 25 million, has a lot to offer to previously encamped folks -- 2 movie theatres, many restaurants, home decorating shops even, clubs to join, ... That comes along with traffic jams -- "go slows" -- that can cause a 15 minute drive to be 2 hours. A car horn is used more than a gas peddle around here!

Way back, many blog entries ago, I posted some photos of the beach and the huts along the beach. Welllllllllllllll, the gal who's job I'm taking and her husband are leaving Nigeria after 7 (count them ...) years and we're buying their lease! OK, THAT'S something we can definitely adjust to!!!

We hope to visit a church this weekend. The last time we were able to go to a church in Nigeria was early last August!

So ... be it crazy and unsettled ... city life is what we have! And new opportunities with new people and new adventures and ...
new ways to learn to turn all of our concerns over to our ever-faithful and wise God!

4 comments:

John Fahland said...

Sharon and Jim,

Glad to see that you are safe and sound and well.......making the best of it. Sorry to hear about your colleagues situation, that has got to be so horrifying. So Lagos it is, perhaps you can have real visitors after you get settled in. Interesting.

Agnieszka just had emergency surgery in a Polish hospital this past Monday. She had her appendix removed. She is home now and resting and recovering nicely. We ended up at a private hospital (the only one in the city). The total cost of the operation and 3 days in the hospital was only $1,243.00. What a bargain, half of her deductible from Blue Cross. Amazing, isn't it.

Anyway, hang in there and we wish you both the best.

Cousin Johnny

Sharon said...

Hi, Cous!

Give our love to Agnieszka! It's great that you were in her homeland for that surgery, I guess!

Love,
Sharon

Susan said...

So glad you guys are safe. You are resilient!

Keep us up on the news. I'm glad, I think, that the job moves with the exiles!

Speaking of boredom ... how about writing something new outside of the blog (which I love, by the way)? Like a book! I need something great to read and now that you've finished one project and have all this free time ...

Sharon said...

Susan,

I started an article the very day our friends were taken ... and I haven't been able to get back to it since.
But I hope to write this weekend. You're right, there's a lot that could be said ...

Thanks for your encouragement!
Sharon