OK, just one story today --
I'm working on getting a copy of a key for each residence stored in a secure key box in a secure office in case of emergencies. The contractors in charge of the camp have lost sooooooooo many keys and the keys make it into the wrong hands and things disappear and I'm so sick of locks having to be changed and all ... I decided we just can't let the contractors keep any keys any longer.
So, I've been collecting keys from the residents. Yesterday I gave the contractors 10 keys that needed to be duplicated -- some just one copy, others needed more copies -- as many as 6 copies were needed for some. I decided to do this in small groupings of keys so as not to overwhelm them. I had carefully numbered each key -- writing it on tape and verifying that the ink would not come off. That number corresponded with numbers on a list of house addresses. I didn't want the key maker to know what house he was making a key for ... you have to assume that they'll all cheat if they can!
I was beginning to panic because the worker was 3 hours late with the keys last evening. I had one house that I had to move guys into last night and, of course, we needed the keys. Sam, the generally hard working guy who is the only one out of 30 that I could trust with this job, did finally arrive. He was so proud of his work. Keys were randomly grouped onto key rings with new unmarked wooden tags that he had made (something I had NOT wanted done -- more work to take them off the rings) and ... none of the keys were marked. Yep. None of the originals and none of the copies.
Good news -- I found the keys for the vacant house just as the guys arrived to move into it.
Bad news -- I still have 2 rings filled with keys to sort through and try on doors. I just haven't had the energy to face the pile!
Good news -- Sam is feeling very sorry.
Bad news -- Sam has been strangely absent today.
Good news -- I'm going to try a new plan.
Bad news -- I'm not expecting my new plan to work!
More bad news -- I still have at least 80 more keys to duplicate.
Wednesday, March 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment