Sunday, September 10, 2006

We're back and it's been crazy!

We returned to Nigeria almost two weeks ago but ... whew! ... what absolutely over-the-top-nutsy days it has been. The pace has only slackened slightly so this will have to be fast. Excuse the abbreviated sentences that might follow!

Colorado: Packed up all belongings in the house. Prepped the house (thanks to daughter, Jeri's help with painting, etc.). It's now rented!! Had very little time for friends. Didn't even have time to find phone numbers and call anyone to ask for help with all that we were trying to do!!! Also, Jim saw lots and lots of Docs -- back, ear, head (from the surgery he'd had last Dec.), ... Some good news, some not.

Alaska: Spent great time with family and friends. Mom went into the hospital almost right after we arrived. (Not triggered by our arrival, I'm confident!) She's doing much better now but it was a bit scary! She got out the day before the wedding and could attend the wedding -- danced with Brad at the reception, even! Brad and Karissa -- now a happily married couple. After honeymoon, are now settling into their duplex. The best part of the time in Alaska? --going back to our old fishing hole with all three kids and Karissa. We got our limit of silvers!! Somehow, when I'm fishing I don't notice how wet and cold I am. Awesome times all around!!

Nigeria:
Arrived exhausted from the 2+ days of travel. The political climate worsened while we were gone so there is a lockdown on the camp for all expats. Essential travel is all that we can do at the moment. Some of the gals were afraid to go out anyway but for someone like me -- a bummer. I like to experience the markets, etc. Could last until after the elections in April. Makes things crazier on the camp -- tempers flare, need more activities to keep people happy. Times like these are like squeezing a tube of toothpaste -- what was inside all along is what comes out. So a few are rallying wonderfully and a few are nastier than I ever thought possible!

Can't go to church at the moment. We had so looked forward to getting involved in the church we had found shortly before we left. My soul is a bit starved at the moment. Jim and I are making more concerted efforts to feed our souls. I think I'm gonna go back to my Day of Solitude routine that I used to do -- at least 6 hours alone with God -- Bible, water, tea, and journal. Can't wait!!

Jim's health: Orthoped. bed we'd ordered before leaving is, of course, not here yet. His back is bothering him quite a bit. His ear was damaged by a loud speaker here in June so he's got pain, ringing, and hearing loss he's dealing with, too. Please pray for his back, especially. He's looking at surgery sometime.

My job: I jumped in at the absolutely worst time possible -- but of course, that's why I was needed! Please pray for me to have grace with the nasty folks, patience with the slow-to-do-their-job folks, solutions for the absolutely-incompetent folks, and encouragement for the great folks who struggle with the same frustrations. We have new arrivers all of the time and I'm having to juggle housing to make room. We have 10 students who want into a good school. 7 of them have no school at all. Pray for wisdom as I deal with the parents and the school administrators. Security is an issue for school travel, shopping needs for the women, etc. I'm working with all of those situations, too, trying to find solutions.

Life: In an effort to find one, I am resigning from the elected position I had as Coordinator of all of the female spouses. I should be handing it over to another gal tomorrow. She's great. Now there will be two of us for the nasty women to shout at and gossip about. It does help to have someone else sharing the load. I'm hoping to get a grip soon. The mere fact that I can write on my blog is a sign of hope. Last night Jim and I closed the curtains on our house, turned off the lights, lit candles, and planned on watching a chick flick. Jim had chosen one as a surprise for me. I don't know what one he'd chosen because I was asleep on the couch before he got it started!!!

Jim's job: Things are not progressing as fast as he had hoped but he's enjoying the work, still. He's got some great people that he works with.

Rain: New experience yesterday -- a driver had to take us from the office to our house door (only a five minute walk) because the streets were so flooded. Definitely still the rainy season. Dry days are coming, though. In the meantime, some folks are getting water in their patios, bedrooms, under the front doors, etc.

Mold: it's getting reallllllllly bad in our master bath and bedroom. Lucy had to wash every stitch of clothing in our closets due to the problem. That's a pile of ironing, too!!! Can't sleep in there. Run into the bathroom without breathing and close the door just to take a quick shower. It's in the bathroom, too, but not so stinky! They're working on it ... :-)

Prince: got married!! He and Glory are doing well. She's still working in her sewing shops a couple of hours away from here so they see each other part of each week. He's so anxious to drive but with our limitations on travel he's become our shopper -- I tell him it's good training for a husband. He hates it. But he does it 'cuz he likes to be busy. Even if it's shopping for diapers for a new family!!!

gotta get some work done!!
hopefully can blog each week at least once.
pictures of wedding will appear whenever I get some. other pics, too.

2 comments:

Lynette R. said...

Hi Sharon,
Chris and I really enjoyed having dinner with you and Jim and hearing your tales of Nigeria. We have also been enjoying all the food and stuff you gave us from your pantry. It's been interesting cooking with things I've never tried before. Thank you! I am going to make venison stew this week with some of the elk meat you gave us. You will both be in our prayers. I pray for your safety, health, and strength in the face of adversity. You have a pioneer spirit. Keep your chin up. I'm sure you are making a big difference to the people there.

Lynette Raab

Sharon said...

John and Lynette --
I love opening this up and finding comments!!
Yes, John, good to chat on the phone -- even if I was in a hospital room with Mom at the time. She is doing much better.
Lynette -- 'glad you're enjoying the food. It was great to visit with you and Chris!