Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Always something!

We can be confident that there's always a new learning opportunity around here!
Here's a quick overview of recent events:
1. The Census was extended through Monday evening. Crazily disorganized -- the news changed regularly on what the schedule was going to be. For most people, the word-of-mouth system didn't work so well. Even in my small world, I'm aware of many people who didn't even get counted. So, the results are -- an inaccurate count, loss of wages, heavy loss of money for companies that had to sit on their jobs until today, frustrated people, but many happy folks who had a holiday and got to enjoy their families. Boy, was the traffic crazy today, though. Prince took me out to run errands and I do think the entire country was out running errands!!

2. First experience with malaria; Lucy got it. She'd been feeling sick on Saturday but I didn't know that because she got stuck off of the camp Friday night and couldn't get back due to the census. So, Monday morning she somehow got back though no movement was allowed. I could tell right away that she was not well. Eventually, I just let her go to her quarters and sleep. Today, she didn't show up for work and she couldn't phone me because she had no working phone. So, skipping the details -- I visited her this afternoon and she looked BAD! She said she'd had malaria once and this felt the same. Malaria kills -- always -- if it's not caught in time. Usually about a week after onset of symptoms its over. So, she said she was planning on trekking (that's walking a long distance) after dark (to avoid the heat of the day) to a clinic to get tested. She really doesn't like to ask for any help and she tries to maintain social boundaries.

Well, I threw those crazy notions out and called Prince. He came back on the camp, got our car, picked me up, picked up Lucy, took her to the clinic and stayed with her during the waiting for the results. I stayed in the car because I knew if they saw a white woman, they'd charge double! She tested positive so Prince then drove to a pharmacy where they talked with a nurse and got the right meds.

The toughest part for Lucy was that I made her sit in my kitchen when we got back while I cooked her something to eat so that she wouldn't get sick when she took the meds. Another maid is going to stay with her tonight. She's got to take the meds during the night and for the next 3 days and then all should be well. She had no money and no one to help her get anywhere. So, it's easy to see how millions die of malaria each year. They are afraid to spend the money on a test, or they simply don't have the money nor the access to a test. Simple solutions aren't so simple, here. So, I'm thanking God for Lucy and for His protection over her.

3. Prince is another amazing guy! I'm in awe of the survival skills of these folks! He's 30, the eldest son (the first issue), and has put 3 brothers through the university while he's been driving bus, taxi, and now driving for Jim's company. His father died a year ago, yesterday, and the memorial service is this weekend. Yes, it's one year after the person's death. I'll write more about that, later. Anyway, Prince would love to have had a university education or to have gone to the U.S. for work but nothing has worked out so far. He's lost a bundle of money twice, trying to help out family members. But he keeps saying that He knows God will provide for his needs and that maybe he'll even get some extra blessings! I love visiting with him about politics, Nigerian traditions, etc. He's very bright, as is Lucy, but they've just never had the opportunities we take for granted in the U.S.

'gotta stop for now. Jim's here and we're fixing our first local crab, tonight, for dinner. Also, the power just went out -- fortunately my laptop has a battery and the phone lines are not effected! But it does complicate the dinner prep. Oh, it's back on already!!

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Thanks, Cous!
Gratitude is sometimes cultivated only when we see beyond ourselves. It's amazing that even here, in the midst of overwhelming poverty, some residents on the camp complain about what we DON'T have. We have so much compared to the world outside our walls that it's almost embarrassing. But those who are scared to go outside our walls don't even realize how good we have it. It would seem that they know enough to be scared but not enough to understand.
And thanks, Dava --
I'll tell Lucy that others are praying for her. I went to see her before I went to bed and I prayed with her. She was starting to feel better, emotionally at least, because she knew that she will get well. God is good.

Sharon said...

Wow, Linda, I'll give that idea some definite thought. What a great way to benefit these dear folks. I'll pray and think some more.
Lucy is back on her feet and trying to work, today. I'm insisting that she rest often but I fear it will require constant observation to guide her into actually stopping work and truly resting.
'glad you're enjoying the blog!

Jennifer said...

I'm glad that Lucy is recovering. Know that I am continuing to pray.